Tuesday, September 8, 2009



An American Ghost in Paris!!!

Well, sort of.  Today was beloved laundry day.  

Observations: Not many people dry their clothes using the dryer.  The proprietor is know where to be found.  There are no signs indicating something does not work:)  It is expensive to dry and wash.  No one lugs around large baskets only medium sized shopping bags and two at the max.

Anyhoo.  So after drying my duvet cover, I covered myself, entering through the large opening to retrieve sneaky clothes(--always a fun surprise to get ready to sleep and their is a damp lump underneath the duvet).  I was startling a fellow Lavoir DU 74 patron.

With a deep concern in his voice he asked if I was okay, "Ca Va?"  When I popped out, hair static and christened with lint, I smiled and said "les chausettes (socks) stuck in here." He pointed to a forlorn sock nearby and I said "no, mes chausettes stuck in here." (Don't know how to say stuck in French yet)  I continued on with my folding, not thinking anything of the startled French guy nor of my silly appearance.  

He apparently could not wait till his wash was done, because as soon as it was fini he stood up abruptly and said "So sorry. Ca va. Aurevoir."  

I understand that it must be an odd image to see a person fully engulfed in queen size white duvet with only their feet visible, but I did not expect a French person to care.  WOrd to the Wise: Now you know what actually shakes that French Attitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share