Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What to do, what to do?

This weekend is the European wide Heritage Culture Event!  In Paris alone, museums, government buildings, and other private and public cultural places of note are open to the public for libre(free).  But where do I want to go?  For sure I am going to the brocante, a flea market, and maybe to the open-air market for some groceries, but where, oh where to spend the rest of the day?  

Looking at the site for Paris activities, it looks like there will be music in the streets and masses out and about.  I would like to go to the Military Acadamie.  It only opens once a year to the public for viewing.  My french teacher noted that the line is two hours long.

Today I attended a tour given by my fantastic and dramatic History of Couture professor, Monsieur Constant, at the Musee Cognacq-Jay.  Besides learning about 18th c. fashions, Monsieur Constant spoke about the architecture.  The building has the oldest wooden(chestnut) ceilings in Paris.  The ceiling is actually made out of the hull of a ship--he claimed that this is where we get vaulted ceilings from.  

Will you take these topiaries home? Saw them on my home from the musee and couldn't help but love the sculpted foliage. Adori! as my friend Alisa would say

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share